Let us help you host your TeachMeet event
TeachMeets are for teachers by teachers and are non commercial!
Please remember that TeachMeets are run BY TEACHERS (including pre-service and higher ed). If you are a consultant, bureaucrat, administrator, business owner or other non-classroom based entity, please contact one of the ambassadors in the contact us page to be enlightened about how TeachMeets work. You may not run TeachMeets at a corporate/paid function - it's against the point.
Hosting a TeachMeet steps
1. Coming up with a TeachMeet theme
- Think about the strengths of your own practice. What ideas do you love to discuss? Is there a particular area of teaching and learning in which your school considers itself a leader? Do you have contacts with educators (and even students) who are brimming with ideas and keen to share them?
- By giving presenters and attendees a broad focus, it allows everybody to target their energies in a collaborative and constructive manner. Some of the best TeachMeets have had presentations that mix pedagogical thought, educational theory and practical ideas to great effect.
- Provide a room/ location with a data projector and speakers (if there are going to be presentations/demonstrations)
- Organise to have the room free for the time(s) you want to host
- Confirm a date that suits your school/ location
- Check to see if there is already a TeachMeet running in your region near that time via the TeachMeet Calendar page.
- Complete the TeachMeet NSW event form below
- Consider having a "Teach Eat" afterwards to invite participants to a local pub, cafe or restaurant to continue the conversation, share ideas and network (all participants pay for themselves).
PLEASE BE AWARE: We are practising educators and it may take up to 7 days for your event to be placed on the TeachMeet NSW Calendar.
3. Setup your promotional page
- Create an event page on the TeachMeet event pages (make sure you tick yes in the form and we will send you an email so you can edit your page). If you need access contact us from the Contact Us page. We recommend you create a page to post extra information for your event. You are welcome to use other mediums e.g. Smore, Sway, Eventbrite.
- Start advertising within your school and within the TeachMeet NSW network, Social Media (Facebook and Twitter) and beyond (associations, unions, sector-based networks etc).
CLICK HERE to learn how create your event page. Go to the Teachmeet Event pages for examples.
4. On the day
- Be present on the night and lead the TeachMeet on the day
- Upload any resources provided by the presenters to a cloud drive and share via social media and on this site
- Take a look at the HOST PACK. Remember, this is NOT a rule book! You can host however you want, wherever you want, whenever you want.
Disclaimer: TeachMeets are informally organised events which facilitate teachers sharing their classroom practice in the presence of other educators. Teachmeets are held at various locations around Australia. The venues we choose are a range of public and private establishments with various levels of risk to patrons. The hosts are responsible only for organising the event to the best of their ability. Attendees take it upon themselves to be responsible for their own safety and security – including that of their property. The venues we use will have their own arrangements for appropriate insurance and, by hosting an event, accept the normal responsibilities of that venue under typical circumstances. The hosts or organisers of TeachMeet events will not accept responsibility for the safety and security of participants or their individual satisfaction with the professional development provided on the day. This includes the presence of people under the age of 18, who must be under the supervision of a nominated parent, guardian or teacher for the duration of the TeachMeet at which they are present.